Medical Assistants Recognition Week is Coming Soon!!
AAMA (800) 228-2262
Medical Assistants at the “heart of health care.”
Our Heart is Your heart*
Just a friendly reminder that the medical assistant recognition week is coming up soon! We are celebrating another year of being, or studying to become, medical assistants.
To spread the spirit of Medical Assistants Recognition week, the Denver Campus is celebrating on October 24, 2014 (Fri) from 5:00 pm-8:00 pm. We will hold the main event in classroom #2, the dinner buffet (pot luck) will be held in classroom #3 and a “meet and greet” will be held in classroom #4. Show you MARW spirit this year, and support our medical assistant students and MA (s) working in the industry by attending this event in gratitude of your appreciation for their dedication to their studies and careers!
We are asking, if possible, that each person try to bring a special “pot luck” item of their choice for all to share! This does not have to be a home-made or fancy dish, but should come from the heart, just the same. Our students will also be providing some home-made treats to add to our festive menu. (We are expecting around 70 folks which will include our students, their children, families, neighbors, staff and faculty, professional organizations and other medical assistants that might work and reside in Denver County and surrounding regions.) This is a “campus event” for all departments, programs and NAU various campuses in the area.
If you would like to bring a dish to add to our buffet, please email me and include your first name and the preparation you would like to offer. I will be setting up on Friday, October 24, 2014 at 11:00 am in the OTA lab at the Denver campus. We will be using the OTA lab only for food preparation and refrigerator purposes.
The following professional organizations will be in attendance:
- · Colorado Society of Medical Assistants*
- · Doctor’s Express Urgent & Primary Care Centers
- · Glendale Chamber of Commerce!
Confirmed Dinner Menu thus far is: (We need more food, juice and soda, so please feel free to pitch in!
- · Baja Ladas (w/ rice & beans)
- · A variety of desert choices (MA Students)
Every year Medical Assistants Recognition Week (MAR Week) is celebrated during the third full week in October.
Medical Assistants Recognition Week: October 20-24, 2014
Medical Assistants Recognition Day: October 22, 2014
The following gifts will be presented for MA students, as available:
- · MA Buttons, T-shirts, Travel Mugs, Notepads, Lunch Coolers, AAMA Related Gifts, Games and Fun for Kids & Adults and Flyers!
What are Medical Assistants?
Medical assistants work alongside physicians, mainly in outpatient or ambulatory care facilities, such as medical offices and clinics.
In Demand | Medical assisting is one of the nation's fastest growing careers, according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, attributing job growth to the following:
- · -Predicted surge in the number of physicians' offices and outpatient care facilities
- · -Technological advancements
- · -Growing number of elderly Americans who need medical treatment
Job Responsibilities | Medical assistants are cross-trained to perform administrative and clinical duties.
Here is a quick overview (duties vary from office to office depending on location, size, specialty, and state law):
Administrative Duties (may include, but not limited to):
- · Using computer applications
- · Answering telephones
- · Greeting patients
- · Updating and filing patient medical records
- · Coding and filling out insurance forms
- · Scheduling appointments
- · Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- · Handling correspondence, billing, and bookkeeping
Clinical Duties (may include, but not limited to):
- · Taking medical histories
- · Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- · Preparing patients for examination
- · Assisting the physician during exams
- · Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens
- · Performing basic laboratory tests
- · Instructing patients about medication and special diets
- · Preparing and administering medications as directed by a physician
- · Authorizing prescription refills as directed
- · Drawing blood
- · Taking electrocardiograms
· Removing sutures and changing dressings
- · Patient Liaison |
- · PCMH Team Member |
American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
20 N. Wacker Dr., Ste. 1575
Chicago, IL 60606
(Denver & Centennial MA Graduates!)
Jacqueline G. McRae, MEd., CMA-AAMA., AHI (AMT)
Program Director-Medical Assisting
National American University
1325 S. Colorado Blvd., Ste. 100
Denver, CO. 80222
Direct Line: (303) 876-7136
Fax: (303) 876-7105
Mobile: (303) 718-1057
Office Hours-2014 Summer Quarter Schedule:
Mondays: 12:00am-3:00pm (or drop by)
Tuesdays:“By appointment only”
Wednesdays: 12:00am-3:00pm (or drop by)
Thursdays: “By appointment only”
Fridays:“By appointment only”
Regular Work Hours:
Mondays & Wednesdays: 12:00 pm-10:00 pm
Thursdays: 12:00 pm-8:00 pm
Fridays: 10:00am-7:00 pm
Note: This schedule is subject to change because I am sometimes out, “in-the-field” seeking Practicum sites, visits, community meetings, etc.